Rancho Los Alamitos encourages certain site uses such as painting and photography classes, horticulture tours and observations. Reservations are required and normally two weeks advance notice is necessary, especially because of our limited parking.
Wedding and engagement photos and other portraiture type photos may be taken at the site by reservation only. For the fee schedule, Site Use Policies and additional information, please contact the Rancho by telephone at (562) 431-3541 or via email at email@example.com.
Commercial photography during public visiting hours without prior arrangement is not permitted. On a very limited basis the ranch is available for commercial photography, video and filming, also for site rentals that conform to the Site Use Policies.
Rancho Los Alamitos Historic Ranch & Gardens is a nationally recognized 7.5 acre historic site and it must be respected as a significant cultural resource. The house is the second oldest dwelling in Southern California and dates from c.1800, while the gardens have national significance because of the people who designed them in the 1920s and 1930s. The barnyard area contains livestock and restored historic agricultural structures. The site is located within a gated residential community and all users must respect the privacy of the neighborhood and cooperate with the procedures of the residential guard gate.
Rancho Los Alamitoswelcomes general visitors who wish to photograph the gardens and other outside areas. Lights and/or light reflectors, large camera equipment/gear, costume changes, balloons, etc. are not allowed unless prior approval and arrangements have been made with Rancho staff. To ensure that there is no impediment to our visitors, we ask that on-site professional photography sessions be booked in advance by appointment and that the Rancho’s Photography Policies, including the payment of applicable fees, are followed.
Please respect the site and do not move artifacts, trample plants, or impede other visitors in order to get a good image! Absolutely no photography is allowed inside the Ranch House. If you need assistance or have any questions please check with office staff or a docent in the Rancho Center. We will try to accommodate your needs if we can.
When you arrive on-site, as with all guests, it is mandatory that you check in at the Rancho Center Reception Desk upon arrival and complete any necessary paperwork. Please check out in the Rancho Center when you have completed your site use.
To preserve and protect the site, please observe and follow the policies and etiquette listed below:
- No one is allowed in the ranch house unless accompanied by a docent or staff member.
- There is absolutely no photography allowed in the Ranch house or Rancho Center.
- Please do not feed, pet or harass the animals.
- No large camera equipment, lights or light reflectors are allowed.
- No costume changes or props, including balloons, are allowed.
- Please make sure that children are supervised at all times. Do not allow them to run around the site.
- Please do not climb on the roots of the large Moreton Bay Fig trees on the front lawn.
- Please do not trample plants or walk in the planted beds but stay on the lawns and pathways.
- Garden furniture and artifacts should not be handled or moved.
- Do not tape anything to objects or plaques.
- No food or drink is allowed, except at the picnic tables located near the parking lot.
- No smoking is permitted, except in the parking lot area.
- No pets are allowed.
- Please respect other visitors and do not block pathways and garden areas.
- Do not leave any litter. There are trashcans near the parking lot.
- Please note that some areas of the gardens are not wheelchair accessible.
- In case of an injury-causing accident, contact a staff member immediately.
Thank you for observing the policies and helping to keep Rancho Los Alamitos in good condition for everyone.
For the fee schedule, Site Use Policies and additional information, please contact us by email at this link: The Rancho or by telephone at (562) 431-3541.
DRONES - All drones (Unmanned Aerial Systems) are prohibited at Rancho Los Alamitos and any unauthorized drone(s) observed over the Rancho will be reported to the FAA and local law enforcement, regardless of its point of origin or operation. Drones may pose a potential safety risk and may violate Federal Aviation Administration guidelines.